Unknown Caller - Short Story

 

 


Tring Tring….

My phone rang and I picked up the call. 
Hello is this Abhisekh, the caller said. No wrong no, please check and redial, I replied. Is this 9899****01, caller asked. Yes it is, but it’s my no. Oh sorry, may be I wrote the wrong number given by him, he clarified. Its okay, I said and hanged up the call.

I got busy in my works. After a while, my mobile got a massage. A massage send by unknown person asking something, text was, “Hi, can I say something? I replied who is this? It was the same caller. Questions raise in my mind like who is this? What he wants to say and why? Why should I reply him? After questioning myself I replied him as I didn't recognise him. Oh ok, say, I replied.

His next message was quit surprise to me. He complemented my voice. I thought is it a trick? Is it a way to talk to a girl by dialing wrong no? His message was, “Please don’t get me wrong. But you have a very unique and soothing voice. Couldn't resist saying this. Please don’t misunderstand me.” 

I simply wanted to say thanks because I personally believe to complementing people. Generally if we roaming around and get some people with a dashing personality or nice behavior we like it. So many times we wanted to complement the person but we don’t. Because the person can take it wrong. It seems not normal to complementing unknown people. I replied him, “okay.”

At the same time I was thinking about other people in my situation; who entertains wrong no? What if the unknown caller is trying to flirt or doing the same thing for what wrong no is famous for. I heard so many happening about it that a person called wrong no and they get into relation or sometimes it results a crime. So many questions raised in my mind. But there is one thing which saying me to reply and that is my curiosity about human psychology. I like to know humans mind and behavior. This is only the reason I replied him.

Again he messaged, “At least a thank you is expected after a nice n true compliment. Apne 1 thanks bhi nhi kaha. Anyway. Its okay.” I was in doubt. Firstly, he was trying to continue the conversation and nothing was objectionable but secondly, he was not known to me. Still I wrote him, “Isn't it strange? I don’t know u and u r giving me compliment…anyway thanks.”   

I guessed he may be an artist, because an artist who lives in a world of dreams can do what is not normal.  He/she prefers his heart’s voice not the world’s rule. It is my personal thought. Anyways I got his next message. He replied, “There are many things which appear to be strange in life. In fact our life is strange too. 

He got my name from true caller. After asking me that, are you an artist? He said not by profession but by behavior and nature. I couldn't understand what he wanted to say. Because being an artist is a nature itself and it’s a talent by birth.  People make it profession by choice. Otherwise an artist can live without food but can't live without his/her imagination.

After sometime he messaged me again. He wrote that “maine koi naarazgi wali baat kar di kya? Aap to sayad khafa ho gaye. Being a frank I replied, “No, I’m busy.” His last reply was, “ok I’ll wait for your text very patiently. Have a blessed Wednesday.

I’m smiling and thinking on this conversation with the unknown caller. Sometimes unknown people make us smile and we smile in reply. But there is a fear behind it. The fear is being victim of crime or trap in a trouble…

-Chanchal Sakshi
10th Sep 2014




Comments

Popular Posts